Westminster Nursery School 1951 – 2017
Westminster Nursery School was established by the Session of the Presbyterian Church of Toms River in November 1951 with six pupils attending. In 1969 WNS relocated from Washington Street to the new church building at 1070 Hooper Ave. WNS has grown into the oldest and largest church-related nursery school in the state of New Jersey. The Fall 2017 enrollment of approximately 300 children consists of four year olds, three year olds and two and one half year olds. WNS is open to all religions and communities. People travel from as far as Manahawkin, Brick, and Manchester to attend WNS.
The school is housed in the renovated and expanded education wing of the Presbyterian Church of Toms River. The Westminster Nursery School Board is comprised of six church members plus the director of the school. This board makes decisions regarding policy, hiring and budgeting as well as offers support to the school in various other ways. Westminster’s staff and school meet the State of New Jersey Division of Child Protection & Permanency requirements for licensing. The WNS Board has, however, established higher educational certifications for our teachers than those required by state licensing for preschools.
In September 2012 Westminster added three and five full day classes to our four year old program choices. September 2010 saw the opening of our Kindergarten Full Day program. September 2008 Westminster opened a program for two and a half year olds. This program has been a success for our youngest students.